Monday, January 24, 2011

Postius I've Arrivedius


As Mikele and I arrived at Torino Porta Nuovo we were discussing how we were going to find our host families. As we reached the end of the platform I was just about to say 'I think that's my family over there' when they rushed up to ask if we were Breanna and Mikele. I’m not sure whether our families we already friends or if they had just meet at the station but they we waiting together and seemed quite friendly. Mikele's host mum is an English teacher so maybe she teaches at Giulia (my host sister)'s school? I’m not really sure.


There was another lady there who spoke good English who at the time I thought they said was Giulia's aunt but I’m not too sure now. She went over basics; was I hungry, was I tired, how long had I been travelling for (on hearing it was over 29 hours Gabriella (my host mum) was quite shocked).

Giulia's English is quite good so on the way home we discussed the route we flew, where Perth was and where I came to inItaly last time. We got home at 3.30 which completed my 30 hours of travelling. Within an hour and a half of being home I had showered, been fed a ludicrous amount of pasta and tiramisu, walked Cleo the dog and been sent to bed to sleep until dinner time. When we went out side to walk Cleo it was really cold. I had on jeans, a knit top, a micro fleece jumper, my coat, scarf, gloves and beanie and was just warm enough! I also got in trouble for having wet hair and wasn't allowed out side until I had blow dried it. I can't say that my hair appreciated it very much; it went quite frizzy and mad!

Dinner was nice and I met Gabriella's sister who joined us. Her father (who had been there since I arrived) spent the whole time trying to teach me bits of Italian by pointing at the object and saying its name. I got questioned about whether I could ski (on snow) and surf and how similar they were. I attempted to answer in Italian and when I got stuck Giulia translated for me. Apparently I was too tired to help clear up (I tried to stack plates) and was sent back to bed after more tiramisu. One interesting thing that we had at dinner was fennel bulb/aniseed there was a bowl of it on the table and you shook some salt onto it and then ate it. Personally I think it was better without the salt but anyway.

I had a good sleep and woke up just as Giulia and Gabriella were leaving. I was quite content lying in bed under a big down dooner until Cleo decided to come in and steal one of my socks. It was then a battle of the wits as to me trying to get it back because I obviously didn’t know how to tell her to drop it. In the end I won because she kept dropping it and then picking it up again just as I was about to, all I had to do was be quicker than her and I won!

Guilia has school from 8 to 1 (I've been given the day off to sleep but I’m remarkably well adjusted so I think I will unpack) and then this afternoon we are going into the centre of Torino to go shopping (apparently there are lots of sales on at the moment). Giulia is going to a (I think) birthday party on Saturday that I’m also invited to so I may be needing to find a pair of tights to wear for then.

1 comment:

  1. Blowdrying your hair might make it frizzy and mad, but not blowdrying can result in it freezing. That's a very weird sensation which I remember from my heady - frozen heady - days in Toronto!

    ReplyDelete