Thursday, April 7, 2011

post sulla mia famiglia

I’m sure that I mentioned this before but looking back I cant seem to find it anywhere but anyway: Gabri and Giu are only a 'welcome family' for me. When I got my initial information about them I was told that I would only be staying with them for two months before I would change to another family near by that was interested in having me. I’ve been in Italy 10 and a half weeks now and so I am sitting on the couch after school, watching l'Isola dei famousi with Giu and writing the last blog post I will upload from here, my new host family is coming to pick me up at 6.30.

I’m really sad to be moving families, Gabri and Giu are amazing and I really like it here. Giu is in her second last year of school so she must study and I believe that Gabri and Giu are both (separately) going away over the summer. And so, no matter how much I wish I were staying, tonight I move. Gabri it appears is also quite sad that I am going and has thus given me several pep talks. Pep talks from Gabri are one of the sweetest things ever, possibly this is because I do speak Italian and she does not speak English but I think it's just because she's really sweet. So far we have established that after the summer, before I go back to Australia, I should come back and stay with them again (we have in fact established this several times); that I should still come over for dinner and to say 'ciao'; that if I am unhappy with the new family I should call; that I am taking Giu back to Australia with me (every time she does something stupid Gabri always points at her and says 'Australia con tu'; that instead of taking Giu with me to Australia I am taking Gabri (this is when both Giu and Simo, Gabri's sister, are being stupid) and that Gabri doesn't know what she's going to do when I leave.

The first time that Gabri said I could come back after the summer if I wanted made me so happy I almost burst, no joke. Grace can attest to this, I was excitedly Skyping/facebooking her for quite a while about it. Coming back here in it's self would be awesome but I reckon there's something special about finishing exchange where you started, and to think by then I might actually be able to speak enough Italian to properly thank Gabri for welcoming me into her home. It's not set in stone that I will come back but I really hope that I do.

Over the past day there's been a few sad moments for me. Like when at dinner Giu turned to me and said 'oh no, Bree, it's your last dinner here' that was very sad. Other random moments that I’ve been sad include walking home from school, that I think is quite silly, it's a walk along a path, most of which I will still have to do to get to the metro, and saying goodbye to Giu's friends where we deposit them on the way home, again this is quite pointless, most of them are in Giu's class which is practically across the hall from mine so I will still see them most days.

I didn't go to extra Italian yesterday because I’d decided that I needed that time to pack. In the end I probably spent the same amount of time procrastinating that I would have spent there but that's just how I pack; potter around and do some bits then go off and reorganise something you've already done, go back and do something new. I still cannot fathom how on earth I (and by that I mean Mum) managed to get everything packed to come over here! The entiritly of my life currently consists of; my pack (full of cloths), a small wheely bag (full of cloths), my school bag (full of school things), my camera bag (containing my camera), my handbag, a large paper shopping bag (full of shoes), a medium size paper shopping bag (containing electronics, cloths for hanging, things I don’t want squished and Vegemite) a small paper shopping bag (full of paper/books/files/photo albums), a box Mum posted (containing my climbing stuff and presents for my family) and Jace. And here is a picture of it all:

I’d like to write more about Gabri and Giu but I really don’t know what to say; they've been amazing and I will miss them very much. But now let's move one to my new family; I have a mum (Sara), a sister (Selene),17, a brother (Tancredi),10, two chickens and a roster. A roster that had better be mute, or really like sleeping in on weekends, because they don't actually live in Torino but a suburb near by, Nichelino. This means that to get to school for 8 I must leave at 6.54 for 40mins on the bus, 15 on the metro and 10 walking. In actual fact where I am staying is only 10km from school but they are two places that you are destined not to be able to get to using public transport and so I must travel two sides of a triangle as opposed to the hypotenuse. Fun.

And before I finish up this post and upload it some amusing stories about my immanent departure. Gabri really like the Sheppard's Pie that I made and said that I must make it again, however we ran out of dinners so we didn't get a chance. However I worked this out at the start of the week and so in my 2 hours on Tuesday I went to the shop, bought ingredients and did vegie prep. Then while Gabri was still out and Giu was at dance I made the pie, let it cool wrapped it and put it in the freezer, attached is a note saying 'sorpresa!' and containing cooking instructions. The other one is more amusing; today the cleaning lady came. When I went up stairs to my room there were new sheets on the bed as there has been every week, so I stripped the bed and put the new ones on all ready for Giu tonight. The next time I went up stairs was about 20mins ago and while I was up there Gabri came in with the sheets that I’d put on the bed before. It seems that Laura didn't know I’d changed then so changed them again, we had a good laugh over it while folding them up again.

So its 8 to 6 and I’m off up stairs to post this and then hand with Gabri and Giu before Sara, Selene and Tancredi arrive. No wait, I’ll be social and go fetch my camera for the picture and then post from down heres

No comments:

Post a Comment