Friday, April 29, 2011

Postius I have a Missionius


I have a mission for today, just one, well no not actually just one but one main one and other smaller side missions to help the completion of the main one. My mission: to write blog posts, yes postS plural. Side missions include; not getting sucked into the land of Nerdfighteria or the land of the Vlogbrothers, not spending stupid amounts of time lost in the interwebs, not spending copious amounts of time watching recorded, streamed or live tv. So it's four verses one and I’m hoping that the one will win out, and I’m sure you are too.

So things that I want to tell you about over the course of my blog friendly day: Introduction to my new family, adventures of our first weekend, adventures of our second weekend and adventures over Easter. Most of these have several pretty pictures to accompany them which is good because it gives me something to write specifically about as well as giving you something interesting to look at rather than just a bunch of black and white pixels.

So I’ve just spent the majority of the day attempting to write a post introducing you to my new family. It hasn't gone very well... despite my attempts not to get distracted I found myself battleing with the internet to load pages while I though of what I wanted to write next. So I’ve decided to give up on that post and jump straight into what we did the first weekend I was here.

Ok so it turns out that in the mornings it takes about an hour 10 to and hour 15 to get to school via bus/metro. Despite the fact that I’d already determined it took approximately this long Selene was sure that I would be at school on time if we left when she normally does. I don’t know how she determined this as she gets off the metro at the 5th stop and I need to get off at the 4th last and yet she arrives at school only like 10mins before class starts. Anyway I had Sara fill in a justification for being late for school and we just didn’t write a time so I could fill that in when I got to class. It turns out that I was about 15 mins late, to which Selene's reply was 'oh ok, we'll get on the bus that leaves 6 mins earlier' if anyone sees how that math works let me know.

To get home form school I had a set of instructions that said something along the line of “take the metro to Lingotto, then get on bus 35, get off at *insert stop name here* which is approx. the 11th stop”. Very descriptive. Also it would have made me slightly more content if Selene had pointed out in the morning where I had to get on the bus. It turns out that there is only one bus stop but it still would have been nice to know that was where I was meant to get it from. When I was on the bus Sara called me to see if I had gotten lost because it was 2 and she somehow thought I would have magically gotten home by then. It turns out that as I was on the phone to her I missed the stop I had to get off at and thus I had to get off at the next one and walk back to the actual stop and then back a little more to take the road that eventually gets me back to the house. Did I mention this was one of those kinda warmish days? So I managed to get home all by my self, despite the fact Sara said she would come and pick me up if I got lost on the walk.

After lunch I talked to Tibs on Skype for a bit and had my first real encounter with the SHOCKING internet we have. We just had a voice call and it dropped me off 8ish times over I think around 40 minutes. Grrr. We weren't even having a video chat, I was the only person on the internet and I wasn’t trying to do anything else at the same time. I have yet to determine how people actually live with crappy internet. Surely having to get up every 15 mins to reset your wireless router gets kinda annoying after, I dunno, the second time you do it, let alone having to disconnect and reconnect your computer every time you want the internet to actually function. Surely you just call some dude who sits in an office doing nothing and ask why it's so shit. I have determined that part of the problem is the bandwidth. One person can be using the internet and it can be working completely fine but as soon as someone else tries to use it as well it makes me wish we had dialup. At least then if you waited long enough things would actually load.

Anyway I’ve written more than a page and haven’t even got to the weekend yet, this may end up being a long post. But hey, I’ve written more of this one in an hour than I did of my abandoned post over the rest of the day. Friday night Selene was going to a birthday party so I went along aswell. When Selene came home from school she brought a couple of friends with her. This was fine, I was on Skype to I waved at them through the door then they disappeared down stairs and I assumed they'd gone home. They hadn't actually gone home, it turns out. When I was downstairs a little later Sele ushered me into a room where I proceeded to spend the next 20mins leaning awkwardly against the wall while they all exfoliated/plucked/epilated/hair-straightened themselves. Not really something I enjoyed that much. Neither was sitting on the door step breathing second hand smoke and watching them wax. I eventually found a legitimate reason to leave and retreated to a safe place.

Eventually we headed off to Alice (said Al-lich-e) and Irene (Ir-en-ne not eye-rean)'s house (I believe they are sisters) for more getting ready before Alice's boyfriend pick us minus Irene up. We were apparently running late (I’m sure that if everyone runs late as often as the host sister I get then no one should worry about being late because everyone would always be late) so I was only rapidly introduced. Driving with Mattia (Alice's boyfriend) was rather amusing. He has an oldish FIAT Panda Young which is almost not quite bunky but has had a decent sound system installed to make up for it. When we finally arrived at our destination after some debate on where it was we were going and then on where we should park I was introduced properly. This introduction was another amusing one to add to the list, it was something along the lines of 'she's not mute, Breanna's just from Australia and can't speak Italian.'

The party was rather average for someone who couldn’t really talk to anyone but it turns out that Mattia can speak a reasonable amount of English so I chatted to him for a while. I also got to meet Selene's boyfriend for all of about 10 mins. What was amusing however was the way this girl's birthday present had been wrapped. They placed a large box on the table for her to open, large as in A3 by 70cm or so. When she opened it, it was full of little foamy packing peanuts or whatever they are called. After digging around in the packing things several small presents were produced. Most of them were silly things like a toilet shaped container of goo and a toothpaste box filled with hole-punched type paper pieces and one eye-liner pencil. Yeah it was amusing, and then at the end she picked up the box and tipped the remaining packing things onto I think it was her sister.

And now that I’ve finished almost two paged of non weekend related stuff I shall upload it before the internet goes completely to poo and then start on a weekend related post. However I’m not sure the weekend one will go up today, it will evolve photos and slow internet+photos =/= functioning blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment