Sunday, March 13, 2011

Postius about Carnivaleius

Last weekend my school Liceo Scientifico Carlo Cattaneo had a carnivale disco. I have yet to determine the precise reason for Carnivale but I believe it is a celebration that has some linkage to Easter and lent... The information that I found seemed to say it was before the start of lent, possibly to have a party to eat all the non lent food (like pancake day) but I’m not really sure. So anyway dress up disco. A few weeks beforehand when Giu has asked me if wanted to go, Gabri declared that I was to wear the Australian flag, only the Australian flag... Being the Cramer that I am this presented a challenge I was not going to fail at. Unfortunately when I was buying my Aussie flag before I left I didn't fully brainstorm the possible functions that it would have and thus I had not purchased one that was wide enough to easily be turned into a dress. The flag and I eventually reached the agreement that it would function as a dress if I wrapped it slightly diagonally around myself.

Even if I went with the diagonal wrapping it was still rather on the short side and would fail Dad's length test of bending over (and not being able to see your undies). It was however about the same length as the dresses that Giu and her friends wore the other time we went to the disco so I decided that was probably going to be ok. After contemplating the maximum length of the dress that could be made from a flag the size I had for several days I decided that it was really rather short and I would feel more comfortable if it was slightly longer... To come up with a new way to wear the flag I put on my Aussie Day thinking hat and decided to channel teenage Aussie Day chic. This ended with me deciding to wear shorts and the flag as a top.

If I had been clever and remembered about Carnivale before I had left I would have been able to pick up a bunch of Aussie Day paraphernalia and would have had a full kit of stuff to wear. However I wasn’t this clever and only had the flag. Giu declared after school one day that she was going into the centre with a friend to buy masks for the disco. I however had to go to and out of school Italian lesson so gave Giu some money so she should pick me up a mask. She got me a lovely black and silver one that cots 4.90. I am still amazed that you can buy masks this cheaply. In Australian it would have cost around $20 despite the fact it wasn’t really that fancy. But I guess the demand for masks in Aus is much lower and thus it is no necessary for them to be as affordable (I am aware that this is against the typical invisible hand market forces but it still makes sense so deal with it).

The disco was on Friday night which is not normally the night were you go out because most people have school the next day however we had that Saturday off. I have yet to word out if we had the party on Friday because we had the Saturday off or if it was the
other way around... I’m thinking probably the former but the latter isn't that unrealistic either. When Giu appeared home from her dance class (which she had on Tuesdays and Fridays from 6 to 7) one of her friends, Cry, came too (I will write more about the random appearance of people late) to hang and get ready for the disco with us. Cry decided that she was going to do my make up after she'd finished with Giu's. So while she gave Giu Egyptian eyes I had my weekly hair debate as I tried to wrangle it into something not ridiculous. While I thought at the time I had managed this, looking back on photos it was still pretty wild, In fact I think I looked like 80s perm meets 70s punk rock/protopunk.


I’m not entirely sure why it was that I needed to be wearing make up since I was going to have a mask on as well but Cry had declared it so. Fortunately she didn’t do anything drastic and with the exception of the foundation being slightly to dark for my skin I think it looked ok. Which is unusual because I generally hate how I look in make up and yet Cry managed it so I only looked slightly like a zombie. Giu's house seems to be designated meeting/sleeping place as a few of her other friends congregated here before we all got a lift from on of their dads. I’ve not made a post introducing you to everyone yet but anyway; Giu was an egyptian, Cry I’m not sure if she was dressed as something/someone but she was in an interesting black dress and decide to have a piece of lace as her mask and Silvi and Other Giu were sort of belly dancers.

At the Disco there were some interesting costumes... as you would expect there was a possie of scantily clad 'cheerleaders' and several cupids/angles/winged devils. There were however also several costumes that I wasn’t expecting to see. Of these the ones I found most amusing were; possie of boys in Vans/Cons (these are brands of shoes), short shorts and too small mostly pink tops, several of whom also had neck scarves on or were supporting hand bags and a group of people in hard hats and DayGlo vests. The DayGlo boys I believe were mostly peeps from my class and I admire them for deciding to wear hard hats, I can say I would have wanted to jump around dancing with one of them on. The possie of gay boys did very well, the strutted everywhere and generally just did other amusing things that fitted the highly offensive stereotype well. Giu and her friends knew several of them so they came to hang with us for a bit. I once again encountered the humour of boys that attempt to speak English. One of them asked me if I wanted to go home to which another other added to bed with them. As per normal when Giu's friends are being stupid I laughed at them while someone scolded them in Italian.

I hung with Giu and her friends the whole night despite the fact I could have gone and hung with my class mates... I decided that since Giu and her friends already knew I couldn't dance there wasn’t much point having to inflict my lack of skills on my class mates as well. I forget how long we'd been there for but at some point Giu and Cry decided we were leaving so we went out and called a taxi to go home. I’m really not sure why we did this because something like 20mins after we got home Silvi arrived, having been doped off by her dad to spend the night at Giu's. Overall it was quite an amusing night, but not quite as much fun as the first disco I went to (which I will eventually write about).

No comments:

Post a Comment