Friday, March 11, 2011

Postius about a Partius

I know that I said I was wanted to but up three updates in the week, I didn't however specify that they couldn't all be on the same day. And thus as 7.55 on Friday night I am starting the first of three posts I WILL write before I go to bed... 'and what about the second from the weekend?' I hear you asking. Well; I went out twice as many times last weekend and so by this reasoning I am happy with having written half as much. I was starting to think that my string of Saturday night traditions would be broken because we'd had the Disco on Friday night up until Giu said she was going into the centre with some friends and invited me.


So the second weekend that I was here another one of Giulia's friends had a birthday party (remember the first one I wrote about oh so long ago). Again I wasn’t sure if I actually knew who it was that was having a party but I went anyway (the girl's name was Chiara). To get there we walked to the metro, metroed to I forget which stop and then had a 10ish minute walk to where we were going. This would normally be fine... however Giu had declared that I must wear my heels so walking around on cobble stones for 10 mins in them was rather...interesting.

So the clock that was so awesome I decided to give this event a post to its self. Unfortunately I only have my SLR camera with me at the moment (mum has just posted my point and shoot) so taking pictures of cool things I see is a little tricky as its not a very 'hang bag friendly' camera and thus I don’t have a photo of this cool clock. I will however just have to describe it quite well. It was a round wall clock with a diameter of probs around 40cm. The fame was silver and the face either black or dark blue. Not sounding terribly interesting yet is it? Well that's just because I’ve not got to the interesting bit yet.

After first noticing it was an unusual clock I didn’t actually realise just how awesome it was because I thought it was 10 to 10. any clues about why its soo cool? No? Well the first thing I noticed was that the numbers were stuck on anticlockwise (as in 11 was were 1 would normally be and 3 was swapped with 9 etc.) For some reason I thought that only the hour hand would be going backwards and thus if the minute hand was on the 2 (as it was) it was actually 10 mins to... I eventually discovered that the whole clock ran backwards and when I had initially noticed its awesomeness it was in fact 10:10. I think the reason I find this clock so awesome is because it really doesn’t make sense... it isn’t designed to be a normal clock when you look at it straight on and it wouldn’t be right if you looked at it in a mirror either because the numbers aren't mirror image. So that is the tale of the interesting clock in all it's obscureness.

And now for the other main thing I wanted to tell you about; the presence of the 'Penrhos-College-I’m-stuck-on-the-oval-because-of-a-fire-drill game'. So this is only of real interest to Penrhos or ex-Penrhos students but I’m sure others will find it amusing also. So at Penrhos there are regular fire drills where the whole school must migrate out of the school and onto the oval across the road. I’m not entirely sure why these must occur with the frequency that they do but when you were sitting on the oval generally in the beating sun it always seemed like the last one was too recent to need another. It could have just been my year but we never seemed to pay attention to the 'sit in a straight line in alphabetical order with your form' rule. Once we'd all lined up and been marked off by our teacher the whole thing really turned into an excuse to play a clapping game that you only ever play at fire drill or aths carnivals. It involves sitting in a circle cross legged with your hands out to the side (vaguely over your knees). Your right hand is resting on the left of the person next to you and, of course, you left is resting under the right of the person on your other side. The only song I can remember being sung is 'down by the banks of the hanky-panky' it does something like this;

down by the banks of the hanky-panky
where the bullfrogs jump from bank to banky
with a hip, hop-hippity-hop
you better watch out or you'll be got”

While you chant this enmass you pass a clap around the circle of hands. At the end if the clap is going to end of you the aim is to move your hand so that the person to your right ends up getting their own hand and not yours. As far as I can tell there is really no point to this other than to pass time and laugh.

And this is relevant to my story because... it appears that after having something to drink in a venue that does not have stupidly loud music, it's fun to play this game. Of course the song is different (and in Italian) but it seems to be just as amusing as it is to bored pretend fire escapees, however alcohol could have something to do with that... I was watching and personally I found it only mildly interesting however I cant say I was that enthralled by it at Penrhos either...

The only other thing worth noting from the night was that one of my class mates (Daniele Padovano) was their... I have yet to work out why but I have narrowed it down to two options, they are either related or go to the same church. Yes these are strangely different options however both are with in good reason. Them being related is simply because there was a whole bunch of girls who looked similar enough to be sibling and cousins of each other and this was who Daniele (it appears in class we call him Pado) was hanging out with the most. And for the same church theory; this theory I have acually only formulated recently... when I went to Pasta Finichè Basta it was in an oratory and Pado and Chiara (and all the other similar looking girls) were helping organise it.

I am once again rapidly leaving 'short post landia' so I shall end it there. Also it is 9.50 and I’ve still got 2 more posts to write before I go to bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment