Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Postius I made Honey Cracklesius

Yesterday was Tuesday which meant my 2 hours at home by myself. Instead of cooking some noisey and/or highly complicated thing that required an extended trip to the shops I Skyped with my Nanna. It was lovely. Dad and Liberty were in Geraldton visiting so we used Tibs's laptop and webcam for the ultimate Skype experience. It was great to both see and be able to chat with Nanna, the only complaint I have is about the quality of image from a webcam which obviously you just have to put up with.

I still wanted to cook something for after dinner with the grandies but I wasn't really in a complicated cooking mood and didn't want to disturb Giu so I decided to make Honey Crackles (one of my ultimate favorite things ever). The only thing that I had to get from the shops was corn flakes and the overall cooking time was minimal. There was however on minor gitch in my planning... I could not find a translation for or and Italian equvalent of patty pans (or cupcake cases or muffin cups depending on what you call them). Tibs had suggested that I just plop the mix onto a baking tray but I was skeptical about whether it would actually clump together or not.

Last Tuesday Nonna Scaletti brought budino for dessert, this translates to puddings and as far as I could tell it was moose and very tasty. Thats not the point however, the point is that she made them in individual disposable metal cups (like small pie cases with high sides) that for some reason we had cleaned to use again. I thought I would experiment with using these to make my own patty pans and lined them with baking paper. Turns out that this actually works better than patty pans! If you've ever made Honey Crackles (or Honey Joys as they are know by persons that are not a 5 year old me) you'd know that you normally have a little bit of the toffee mix that sticked to the bottom of the paper and you've either got to be skilled to get it off, eat some paper, or ditch it. when you use baking paper nothing sticks its amazing you end up just being able to pull out the cornflake clumps and eat it like and apple! amazing revelation that I shall keep in mind. Plus I like the pretentiousness they extrude... truly cafe worthy =P

Pictures in of my creation in all their pretentiousness:


1 comment:

  1. I'm confused, is this a travel blog or a cooking blog? :-) P

    ReplyDelete