Saturday, December 21, 2013

Postius finally some food no one will eatius

For whatever optimistic reason I decided to make gluten free shortbread. I cannot recall now why I thought it would be a good idea, shortbread contains a lot of butter, hence it being called short. Gluten free pastries are generally more fragile than those containing gluten, so too are those using a vegetable based butter replacement. When I look at it like that this recipe was set for disaster from the beginning.

The end product was not /catastrophic/, they're quite delicate but don't crumble when you look at them. However they're not the most delicious thing I've ever made. This is due mainly to the flavour of the margarine, I imagine that could be improved by using one with a more natural taste. They're also quite powery in taste and texture, in part this could be due to using inaccurate measure or because I substituted cornflour for the arrowroot the recipe asked for.

Over all they're edible, especially when dunked in nesquik at breakfast time, but not so delicious that they evaporate in 24 hours. There are infact around 10 left 4 days later!

Gluten free vegan shortbread was the only less than successful cooking experiment of the day. I'd decided to make some GF savoury crackers so that I could snack without dying from sugar overdose. The all purpose go flour I'd bought turned out to really fine (mostly rice I think) which meant I had to add significantly more water than the recipe called for to get it to come together. Next drama was I couldn't find a rolling pin. I knew there was one, I'd used it before, I even texted Selene, she said there was some but she had no clue where. I ended up using a bottle of wine. It worked well enough but it turned out I hadn't rolled the dough thin enough, edge pieces were deliciously crispy but the majority were 2.5mm thick and /very/ hard. I still managed to break my jaw through them all in a few days though.

And genius brain me, decided to make an eggplant relish to go with the crackers. I consulted with Liberty and we decided on a recipe. Possibly due to the small quantity or possibly due to my incompetence it didn't work so well. The Bimby wouldn't pick up the mix to blend it and in the end I had a small bowl of spongey eggplant and garlic chunks. I'm not going to give that one another go, instead today I bought some raw almonds and am going to try a Bimby recipe for carrot relish/dip.


No comments:

Post a Comment