Sunday, December 22, 2013

Updateius I did yogaius

The gym in signed up at has two rooms where they run classes, most are things like fitbox, step and spinning (read high impact/cardio activities I hate) but they also have pilates, yoga and stretching. I bit intimidated by my inability to understand much italian I tried to timeda few of my visits so I could peek through the window and see if I'd be able to keep up. I only actually managed to do this with pilates but after researching the type of yoga they offered I figured I'd be able to remember enough of it from my years ago yoga classes to get through it. That and I could cheat and follow the people around me.

When I got there most people seemed like regulars, they had their own mats and were catching up. One of the ladies had a mat from the gym so I asked if I had to so anything special or just grab a mat. I was one of the new youngest in the class, there was another girl around my age and then the next youngest was a lady probably in her mod thirties. When the instructor arrived (a little late, for which he was jokingly chastised) he checked that it was my first time there. Despite not having pre organised a response I think I did an alright job of explaining I was from Australia but had done a bit of toga there. They wanted to know what I was doing here so we had a group chat about how I went on exchange and was back from Christmas. Everyone was jealous of my being from Australia, it seems to be idolised as a place everyone wishes to visit.

I got a little lost with the beginning poses but once we'd warmed up we moved into sun salutations and warrior poses, All ones I'd do w previously. The style was a little bit different to what I was used to, more dynamic and less about holding and breathing into a pose. That took a little whole to get used to but before long I was doing alright. I got corrected a bunch but mostly for things like where to have my elbows and how to point my toes, All things I hadn't understood properly.

The instructor was really nice and took time to help us into some of the weirder poses, like headstands and back bends, if we wanted to try them. He also came by and stretched me into a few of the poses that my hamstrings or QLs where making difficult.

I had a bit if a hard time getting into the right mind set, concentrating so much on the Italian and trying to remember the poses correctly kept distracting me but I still had a pretty good time. At the end one of the ladies farewelled me as a friend (with cheek kisses) and the instructor asked if I'd be back. The gym is closed for the next few sessions because of Christmas and befany so there's only one more before I head home. Only problem is its after my gym membership expires. We're away at the mountains for a little over a week after Christmas so i'm waiting until Monday when the nice lady works so see if I can swap that week for the four days after my card expires before I head home. Fingers crossed for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment