Sunday, December 1, 2013

Updateius I'm not sure if I still have toes

Today is the 50tth wedding anniversary of Nonna Irma and Nonno Aldo so we had a party. Friday evening Sara, Selene, Sele's friend Alice (Ali-che, not Alis) and I went shopping for supplies, for almost three hours... While we were there we bought 13 bottles of wine, a bunch of different cheeses (boo, not cheese for meee) gluten free biscuits, soydrink (soy milk by with sugar, unfortunately all I've found so far) and a whole lot of other things.

Cooking started late morning Saturday, commencing with Selene getting the quarters through making tiramisù the whole realising she'd forgotten the mascarpone. While she mixed that in to the remaining mix I started pulling off the top layer of biscuits and scraping into the bowl most of the mix we'd already put down. Both Sara and Sele were apparently quite surprised at my going this. When I pointed out that otherwise it would be wrong, they said they knew that but wouldn't have been bothered fixing it. I like to think I ensured it was delicious, even if I couldn't try it.

I helped as much as I could with the cooking whilst also translating for Tancredi what he had to do in one of the mmorpgs (massive multiplayer online roll playing game) I'd brought with me. One of Sara's friends was over helping us and she bought me from Sara for €5 to help make fruit salad.

Corrado arrived from Venice for the weekend and explained he was worried he'd break me if he hugged me. My weight I generally the first topic of conversation when I see someone I knew last time. In the 10 months I was here I gained 9.5kg and that being around 1/5 my weight it is kind of obvious now I've lost it again. I generally follow that conversation up with the fact I'm allergic to eggs and dairy and don't eat much gluten. The fact that i 'can't eat anything' seems to placate them about my weight.

In preparation for the party I had an afternoon nap. Tancredi reminds me daily that I have forgotten most of my italian (he's making me a homework schedule to cover 3 years of primary school in the 6weeks I'm here) and I'm finding that by mid afternoon I'm mentally exhausted. The two situations I have the most trouble with in understating this is when there's lots of people and when it's noisy, both of which I knew would be the case, so I napped for a bit.

For a couple of hours during the day it snowed (!). It was very light and mostly really small flakes but at one point they were huge so I rugged up and went and stood in them for a few minutes. Tancre and Sele thought it was weird but I guess they see it all the time. In the first 15 minutes it was snowing I told Tancre approximately 10 times that it was.

The party went pretty well, although I had a bunch of people tell me I lost too much weight and I had a super hard time understand people. Eventually I gave up and sat in the 'kids corner' with Tancredi and some of his friends, which actually turned our be a good thing because that was where the music was and thus I got to watch people dance stupidly. The funniest thing was when 'I will survive' started playing, Manu (Tancredi's friend) turned around and put his hand behind Tancre's neck in a tango-esk way. We all burst out laughing

Selene and Tancredi's cousin (who I've never met) Greta was in Turin just the one night for the party and so she Sele and Alice convinced me to go out with them. On the promise that since it was cold and we were all tired it wouldn't be for long. And hence why i'm not sure if i still have toes... I was 0deg C while we were out, sitting outside a bar for 30+mins...
I think I need new shoes.

-Breanna

No comments:

Post a Comment